Friday, August 7, 2009

How To: Decode Text Message Abbreviations

You see teenagers texting each other all the time...at the movies, in the mall, while they're driving (hopefully not, but I have seen it). If you are like me, you wonder how they can do it so fast, or find it an efficient use of their time. I hate sending text messages. I'm slow at it, and quite frankly, I'd rather just call someone.

To text efficiently, you need to be able to decode the abbreviations. Here is a sampling of some popular shorthand texting terms.

  • # 99 - Parents are no longer watching
  • afaik - As far as I know
  • asap - As soon as possible
  • atm - At the moment
  • b4 - Before
  • bbl - Be back later
  • bbs - Be back soon
  • bf - Boyfriend
  • BI5 - Back in five minutes
  • btw - By the way
  • cid - Consider it done
  • cm - Call me
  • cuz - Because
  • cya - See ya
  • dk - Don’t know
  • dl - Download
  • dur - Do you remember
  • eod - End of discussion
  • ezy - Easy
  • f2f - Face to face
  • fwiw - For what it’s worth
  • fyeo - For your eyes only
  • g2g - Got to go
  • gf - Girlfriend
  • gl - Good luck
  • gr8 - Great
  • h&k - Hugs and kisses
  • h8 - Hate
  • hagn - Have a good night
  • hig - How’s it going
  • howru - How are you
  • iccl - I couldn’t care less
  • idk - I don’t know
  • ilu - I love you
  • im - I am
  • imho - In my humble opinion
  • jk - Just kidding
  • jtluk - Just to let you know
  • kit - Keep in touch
  • kwim - Know what I mean
  • l8 - Late
  • lmk - Let me know
  • lol - Laugh out loud
  • luvu - Love you
  • mob - Mobile
  • mte - My thoughts exactly
  • mtf - More to follow
  • n - And
  • ne1 - Anyone
  • np - No problem
  • nrn - No reply necessary
  • obtw - Oh by the way
  • omg - Oh my God
  • otoh - On the other hand
  • pcm - Please call me
  • pls - Please
  • ppl - People
  • prw - Parents are watching
  • ptmm - Please tell me more
  • qix - Quick
  • r - Are [or ] or
  • rotfl - Rolling on the floor laughing
  • ruok - Are you OK
  • sec - Second
  • sit - Stay in touch
  • sol - Sooner or later
  • sry - Sorry
  • sys - See you soon
  • t2ul - Talk to you later
  • tafn - That’s all for now
  • thx - Thanks
  • tmb - Text me back
  • tmot - Trust me on this
  • ttutt - To tell you the truth
  • ttyl - Talk to you later
  • ur - You are
  • v - Very
  • w/o - Without
  • wayd - What are you doing
  • wbs - Write back soon
  • werru? - Where are you
  • wtm? - What time
  • wuwh - Wish you were here
  • x - Kiss
  • xoxoxo - Hugs and kisses
  • y - Why [or] yes
  • yr - Your
  • zzzz - Sleeping
  • UG2BK - You got to be kidding
  • GBTW- Get back to work
  • NMP - Not my problem
  • PIR - Parent in room
  • GFTD - Gone for the day
  • FYEO - For your eyes only
  • BI5 - Back in five minutes
  • DEGT - Don’t even go there
  • BIL - Boss is listening
  • PAW - Parents are watching
  • 99 - Parents are no longer watching
  • PCM - Please call me
  • IMS - I am sorry
  • TOY - Thinking of you
  • KUTGW - Keep up the good work
  • CID - Consider it done
  • FWIW - For what it’s worth
  • HAND - Have a nice day
  • IAT - I am tired
  • NRN - No response necessary
  • 4COL - For crying out loud
  • WRUD - What are you doing
  • LMIRL - Let’s meet in real life
  • ^5 - High five
If you should get a text that you need to find the meaning of, visit LG's Mobile Phones De-Texter website: http://dtxtr.com/ or NetLingo.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment